As I mentioned in my last post the emphasis right now is preparing picture frames, ready for carving, gilding, and finishing for our adventure Scottsdale — doesn’t really make for a real exciting blog post! One complaint I’ve heard about the sliding table on the SawStop is that when you are ripping long, wide boards the slider section needs to be removed. That in itself is not a big deal, two easily accessible allen head fasteners accomplish that. The complaint is adjusting the fence back to a perfect 90 degree relationship with the blade. I mentioned this to Christian, the owner of Woodworkers Emporium where I bought the saw. I use a large drafting triangle to set slider back to 90 degrees which works pretty well. He suggested instead, that I use a large piece of material, cutting an exact 90 degree corner on it and then notching it to clear the teeth of the blade. I took his advice and it works great, I had a piece of Marlite that measures roughly 16″ x 18″ and here’s the results:
After raising the blade to full height the notches clear the teeth so there is lots of area to align the fence to. Thanks Christian!
One other shop happening is that the client I designed the Mechanical Cellarette for gave me a call. By the way, if you’re not familiar with the Mechanical Cellarette there’s a video showing it in operation on the link. Back to the “shop happening”; he updated his computer system and was having a problem routing the wires. In previous conversations with him I knew he was really fond of his desk. The wiring running over the top of it wasn’t attractive to say the least! The only solution I could come up with was a grommet right in the middle of the leather covered top. I considered using a hole saw and getting the job done quickly but had visions of it grabbing on to the leather and thoroughly shredding it right off! With that vision in my head I made a template and used a plunge router with a bushing to accomplish the task. The initial cut was very light, just enough to cut the leather, then successive plunges until the piece fell out. Happy to say it went flawlessly; my client was happy and I was relieved to know I didn’t need to learn (OJT) how to repair ripped leather on an expensive office desk! Here’s a picture of the completed job, I think it blended in perfectly.