This project is finally complete and I’ve mentioned it a few times in previous blogs. The same client I recently made the 15 picture frames for was also in the process of buying and remodeling a new home fairly close to me. To be honest, this could have been the type of project you wish you hadn’t taken on but I could see the potential of turning their mid-century dresser into a vanity — I mean; it was just a cool looking piece! I didn’t have to make a commitment when first asked since the new house was under renovation and this was crowded along with everything else in the rental house they were leaving. Besides the picture frames had priority which gave this project time to come to fruition in my head!
The first time I saw this piece in the house was when I met the plumber. It was placed in the bathroom and he was trying to figure out what to do first. This is a really well constructed piece of furniture! Full inset plywood back (nailed not stapled) with dust panels between each drawer which were supported by a drawer web and wooden center mount slides. After popping the back off the plumber was able to roughly locate where the tailpiece for each sink would be and drilled holes through the top and each of the dust panels. It would have been the best option to have him do the plumbing hookup and then modify the drawers but as with many construction projects — wrong parts were ordered or delivered so there was that inevitable delay. Decided to take a chance and modify the drawers based on the rough measurements. I took two of them home experiment. Luckily, there was enough room between the drain and the center mount slide. After marking the location, a piece of the drawer was cut out on the bandsaw. Then pieces of 1/2″ Baltic Birch plywood were mitered, glued, and nailed inside of the drawer to tie everything together. Drawer bottoms were wood, if this had been a modern mass-produced piece these modifications wouldn’t have been possible.
I figured okay, if one of them works my process must be working so took the rest of the drawers home to modify them. It was a couple of weeks before the correct parts arrived and the plumber finished it all up. Drawer one — good; drawer two — good; and so it went until the drawers seven and eight at the bottom of the right side! They just hit the P-trap where it went into the drain, had a bit more angle to it. Luckily after taking them to the shop and removing the bottom right up to the center mount guide they both fit with just the slightest bit of friction on the very bottom. I was happy, my client was happy and things looked good.
My client, Christine; is an artist who I met through Diane. You can see some of her work, including a few of the frames I made for her, on Instagram. The reason I bring that up is to tell you about an upcoming show at the Rees Atelier Academy located in Mesa, AZ. Christine is in the program there and her work will be on display. With Christmas right around the corner this show could be just the place to find that perfect gift for that special someone! Tim Rees (owner of the Academy) is having a Holiday Show and Sale on December 9th. from 9:00 am to 5:00pm. Here’s a LINK to the show flyer.