This has been a productive month beginning with commissions for several frames and ending up starting another Kumiko box and a glimmer of hope to get them in a local art gallery. More on that when it happens, don’t want to jeopardize an “iffy” situation! Now that I’m doing more frames I’ve found that additional space is needed for them in between processes. Finding enough horizontal space isn’t possible, my main shop area is about 19′ square. The best solution seemed to be adding more boards with pegs to the walls so they could be hung, I use that already for the tools used the most. Very similar to Shaker pegs. Here’s a before and in progress panoramic shot:
I hang my most commonly used tools (plane, marking gauge, mallet, etc.) to the left of the work bench and then by the table saw are jigs and push sticks used for that. See the mess of frames on the outfield/assembly table? Those are what lead to this shop makeover:
All of the tools are on mobile bases but now the assembly table is usable, rather than glue the pegs in they’re left lose in case they need to be moved around to accommodate different sized projects, jigs, or whatever!
Then there were a number of picture frames, the ones you see hanging on the new rack system will be 12kt. gold oil gilded but had a problem with air bubbles in the size so that’s been delayed, luckily they’re not needed till early November. Another recent frame was this 18″ x 36″ custom profile for Christine Vallieres, a good client of mine. I like to identify my frames and this is the 10/20 Rip, that’s the angles used to cut the edges. The grooves were put in by hand with a plow plane. The finish is black over a red undercoat and then the sight edge was gilded with composition gold leaf. I priced this frame at $150.00.
The Kumiko work is addictive as I’ve mentioned before. Woodworkers Source is having a jewelry box contest and I’ll probably enter one of mine in that. I mentioned a possible gallery interest in them so am in the process of making another; just in case. I love the beginning stages of a project. For this one I ended up making an actual sized Kumiko to help visualize, this was then copied on the scanner and sized to fit the box. An 8/4 piece of Sapele from Woodworkers Source will be used for this piece. Since I don’t stain, my preference is to buy one piece of wood and then mill it to whatever sizes I need, this way when it’s oiled it’s obvious it’s from the same board. Here’s a collage of the steps so far:
It’s almost a chicken and egg conundrum, what comes first the design, the box, or the lid! My solution is to first do the design based on my rough guesstimation of the overall box size. The first part to be assembled is the lid and then the dovetailed box is built around it. I use #0 biscuits which protrude into the lid but are trimmed and then the Kumiko conceals them.